Saturday, July 16, 2011

Mothers

My good friends are visiting from TX.  We are headlong into our middle age, raising young children, navigating this maze of life.  Invariably, we talk about the confusing issues:

environmentalism
vaccinations
modern day racism
men
men
men
weight
health
men
sex
government conspiracy
the influence of corporate lobbying on government policy
men
sexism
agricultural policy
modern medicine
men

We think we perceive the inconsistencies in each (especially the men).  I need this gossip and female centered talk.  I need it like air, or affection.  Then at the end of the day, I can put all these issues down and just remain female.  Just be a worried mom, like all the others.  As long as I know there are sympathetic souls feeling like I am feeling, charged with this intense and all-important task of motherhood, also feeling highly inadequate and overwhelmed, then I can choose to let it all go.  Somehow, "just knowing that the world is round, and here I'll be dancing on the ground"  and there are those like me, I can choose to cuddle my children regardless of all the injustice and nonsense in the world.  I can choose joy over inadequacy.

Right now, I am not going to let the evidence of mankind's slow suicide deter from this good time.  I won't let distant governmental impass and it's inability to serve the population's need distract me from my old friends and our reminiscing. This sweet friendship, these good times are too important.

No comments:

Post a Comment